Intro to Speech Syllabus and Expectations
2014-2015 Mrs. Prothman
Purpose: This class is designed to help develop the skills necessary to become an effective communicator. It will provide students with numerous activities that promote student participation and involvement.
At the conclusion of this course, students will be able to:
- Prepare and deliver effective presentations on various topics;
- Present and deliver clear multi-step oral directions to perform complex procedures and tasks;
- Defend ideas while demonstrating poise and self control;
- Listen to and evaluate validity, reliability and effectiveness of presentations.
- Students will be required to participate in all classroom activities in a positive manner.
- Assignments may be expected to be memorized and students will be expected to speak in front of the class either alone or in a group.
- Students will be responsible to keep a notebook for each semester. This will include all activities that have been covered throughout the year, including assignments and class notes.
- Students will be expected to prepare and deliver activities on time.
- Grades will be determined by the following basis, 80% will be based on classroom participation, homework and presentation, the final will be 20% of the final grade and will come from the research, preparation and presentation of a final persuasive speech.
- Show respect to others at all times;
- The instructor, not the bell will dismiss you;
- You will be expected to show any adult in the classroom respect at all times;
- Food and drink are not allowed in the classroom other than water in clear containers-no gum while acting or rehearsing;
- Gum chewing will result in a reduction of daily participation score.